Tuesday, March 23, 2021

"The Deep End" Feature Story - Part 3 (RD)

Rough Draft Feature Story

This feature story is both narrative and descriptive when composing this story, I interviewed a friend of mine who In believed fit with the direction of my magazine - one set of twin siblings. The home life she had was quote interesting so communicating with her via facetime was interesting for my magazine. 

"The Deep End"

"A free dive that age was sure to cause trouble but that wouldn’t stop the cannon ball from happening. The anticipation, the increase in acceleration and the lifting of toes off the edge of the concrete was all that raced through her mind. The landing of this careless move was not the expected splash of cold chlorine but an intense loss of awareness that resulted in a sudden planting of her face and the bottom of the pool floor. Destiny Felton left that perfect summer day for a visit to the ER after receiving a busted chin instead of the applause for her grand diving performance.

Felton decided to visit some family in Atlanta, Georgia one summer to reunited with some loved ones. This event led to a warm pool day with some cousins that resulted in a tragic case of medical assistance. Felton remembers this story as a childhood event that brings laughter and embarrassment each time it comes up in conversation.

 “I had no idea there was a hole in my chin until I rose from the water and my family saw blood and asked if I were okay. I was so hesitant to tell my mom because I knew she would freak but I told her anyways. “

Felton’s efforts at 9 years old to hid this from her guardian not only portrayed the anxiety she felt exposing such sensitive information but how in her mind the situation was already handled and needed no further investigation. Felton shows her mother the issue at hand but not how you probably expected. See, it was not a “mom look at my busted chin” but more so “hey mom can I get that pringles can, I am a little hungry.” As Felton elevated her head in an attempt to show her mother the injury, a cry of anger and concern fled from Felton’s mom and soon after she found herself being dragged into the car. Felton knew this would happen, but everything was just a surprise to her as it was to her mother.

 “My mother knows I hated going to the ER. With her being a nurse, I thought it could be a simple repair that a band aid and Neosporin could not do, clearly I was mistaken.”

The ER visit was anything less than enjoyable. At only 9 years old Felton had to receive “uncomfortable and painful” stiches to close the opening of her chin. Cutting her summer vacation festivities short she was disappointed that she couldn’t hid her injury as well as she hid her pain.

 “Looking back on this day, I think I was more scared to tell my mom than I was to receive stiches. I knew stitches would hurt but I never wanted to receive the wrath of my mom because she can be quite dramatic sometimes. I learned my lesson from that trip though, never cannon ball around your cousins from Georgia. "

No comments:

Post a Comment